- Posted by: sabenson
- Category: Dentistry
Are you looking to improve your smile? Then perhaps you’ll need to look no further than dental veneers. This popular cosmetic dental treatment is a rapid way to get a Hollywood smile.
In this post, we’ll talk more about veneers as well as their benefits and disadvantages. If you’re unsure whether veneers are the right option, then this post is for you.
What are veneers exactly?
A veneer is a small, thin piece of porcelain that bonds onto a tooth and hides imperfections such as discolouration, misalignments, gaps, fractures and chips.
What are the benefits of veneers?
- They give you a perfect smile. The main reason to get veneers is to improve your smile. Veneers can give you a perfectly-straight white smile.
- They’re resistant to stains. Veneers are resistant to staining, which means they’ll probably stay white for many years before they need replacing.
- They have immediate results. Veneers transform your smile quickly. All they take is one or two dental appointments – unlike braces, which can take months to give good results.
What are the disadvantages of veneers?
When considering whether veneers are the right choice for you, it’s also important to take into account their disadvantages.
- Veneers are irreversible. The main disadvantage of veneers is that they are an irreversible treatment. This is because the dentist has to remove a small amount of enamel from your teeth to accommodate them. However, some dentists now use a new type of veneer called the minimally invasive porcelain veneer. This type of veneer is reversible because no enamel needs to be removed from your teeth. This will certainly be the way of the future!
- Veneers can be costly. Another disadvantage of veneers is that they can be quite expensive when compared to other dental treatments. A cheaper alternative to veneers would be a whitening treatment, for example.
What are the different types of veneers?
There are two main materials used to make veneers: porcelain and composite resin.
- Composite veneers. Composite veneers are typically half the price of porcelain veneers which is an important factor when cost is an issue. Another advantage of composite veneers is that less enamel needs to be removed from your teeth than with porcelain veneers.
- Porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are of higher quality than composite veneers. They’re also stronger, last longer and look more like real teeth. What’s more, they’re also more resistant to staining.
Which type of veneer is best for me?
To determine whether you should go for composite resin veneers or porcelain veneers, it’s best to speak to your dentist. But whichever choice you ultimately go for, be rest assured that both options give fantastic results.
Where can I get veneers?
Nowadays, many dental clinics offer veneers. But if you’re looking for a dental clinic with a strong reputation for excellence, then look no further than us. We have a lot of experience with veneers which makes us ideally suited to provide this treatment. If you’d like to know more about our veneers, then contact one of our friendly receptionists. We’ll be happy to discuss veneers with you!